Subject: Re: bug#70452: 30.0.50; [Wishlist] elpaca.gnu.org/packages Improvements

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 10:51:06 -0400

> Currently https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ displays a table with
> a Version column.
> It would be nice to also include a separate Date column so the user can get
> a quick sense of when that package version was released (rather than
> clicking through to the package's page).

Sounds good.

The corresponding code is around `elpaa--html-make-index` in
`elpa-admin.el` (in the `elpa-admin` branch in `elpa.git`).

> The "Rank" column is ambiguous.
> What criteria is being used to rank the packages?

Basically, the number of accesses to one of the package's files (the
ones on elpa.gnu.org, not the upstream one (if there's any)), like
tarballs, webpage, ...
The packages are sorted according to this number and the rank is the
position within this list, expressed in percent.

See the code under the `elpaa--wsl-` prefix in the `elpa-admin.el` file.
There's a fair bit of room for improvement.

> Perhaps that could go in a title attribute for the Rank table header, so
> users can get an explanation when hovering their mouse over it.

Sounds good.

> It would also be nice to enhance the table headers so they sort the table
> when clicked (ascending/descending) when JS is enabled. 

Sounds good to me as well.

Oddly the Javascript code is not kept in the `elpa-admin` branch but in
the `main` branch instead (in the `html/javascript` subdir).

        Stefan