Subject: bug#70449: 30.0.50; Can't save .zip archive in TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:17:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> > 1.- Open zip archive in remote machine using TRAMP
>> > 2.- Modify archive member
>> > 3.- Try to save with Ctrl-x Ctrl-s
>> >
>> > Will work w/o problems on locally edited archive
>>
>> I can reproduce it. There seems to be an error in arc-mode.el. I'll
>> debug it when time permits; however, this mode is terra incognita for
>> me.
>>
>> Or somebody who knows arc-mode.el could debug.
>
> I only know how it works with local archives, not with remote ones.

Yes. But from my short debug cycle I've tried just now it looks, like
arc-mode detects that the zip file couldn't be edited directly, and it
works over a local temporary copy of that zip file. So it couldn't be
too hard to fix this, once we (I?) understand the different steps.

In order to make it clear, I transform this report into a wishlist.
Editing remote zip files hasn't been offered ever I believe.

Best regards, Michael.