Subject: [bug#70446] [PATCH v3] gnu: webkitgtk: Add locale and dri access to gtk sandbox in order to silence gtk locale warnings and enable hardware accelerated video, respectively. Adjust bubblewrap wrapper to add user profile locale and dri directories.

From: Abhishek Cherath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:22:08 -0400

Hello,

>> ++        "--ro-bind-try", userLocaleDir, userLocaleDir,
>> ++
>> ++        // Bind mount the dri dir in profile
>> ++        "--ro-bind-try", userDriDir, userDriDir,
> For reference, why are these two needed here?  Can't we do this with
> the locales and drivers referenced below?  Should we perhaps expand
> GUIX_LOCPATH here?

Initially, I only had the system paths below those. I added these
so that people could have hardware accel by only installing the required
drivers in their local profiles (as recommended in 69971, unless I
entirely misunderstood)

I'm afraid I don't really know what adding stuff to GUIX_LOCPATH would
do. That's for foreign distros, correct? To reiterate, The locale
problem here is that the bubblewrapped process doesn't have access to
the locales, without which it throws warnings.

> Note that any item you add here which references the user home will
> fail to be loaded correctly when using `guix shell' in a way that hides
> it; or even just using `guix shell' normally with a user who doesn't
> have the hardware-accelerated drivers in their home.  For system paths,
> this is somewhat different, since we can more or less expect them to
> exist and mirror the layout of other distros to some extent.

Hmm, since it's in an ro-bind-try, that'll cause the drivers not to
work, and fall back to trying the system drivers. Is there a better
solution you could recommend?

Yours sincerely,
Abhishek Cherath.