Subject: bug#70444: Broken Emoticons in Browsers

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 00:29:37 +0200

Hi Arne,

On Thu, Apr 18 2024, "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:

> for more than a month now many emoticons are broken in my browsers.
>
> An example is https://www.draketo.de/wissen/klimalinks.html
> I see ⚠, but I cannot see 💡 (though copying it into an Emacs buffer
> shows the icon).
>
> Also Flags like 🇬🇧 and 🇩🇪 are broken.
>
> I have a huge number of fonts installed (list at the end), so this
> should actually work.
>
> I attached a screenshot from icecat which shows the problem;
> ungoogled-chromium has it, too. Firefox installed via flatpak works,
> though (second attached image).

As a workaround, those emoticons still work with ‘torbrowser’ and
‘mullvadbrowser’.  Their font list comes from upstream and they can't
include system fonts.  (This is also better against fingerprinting.)

Clément