Subject: bug#70438: Emacs error 6 abort when starting rust-ts-mode

From: Stefan Heitmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:41:16 +0000

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 29.3; After upgrading Arch - Emacs crashes when starting rust-ts-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:35:04 +0200
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--

Opening a rust file (*.ts) and doing M-x rust-ts-mode <ENTER> crashes my
emacs. When I start emacs using the terminal I get the following when it
crashes:

*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Fatal error 6: Aborted
Backtrace:
emacs(+0x140096)[0x5cc8dc378096]
emacs(+0x20330)[0x5cc8dc258330]
emacs(+0x21153)[0x5cc8dc259153]
emacs(+0x29ad8d)[0x5cc8dc4d2d8d]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x3c770)[0x736916235770]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x8d32c)[0x73691628632c]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x18)[0x7369162356c8]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0xd7)[0x73691621d4b8]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x25395)[0x73691621e395]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x11473b)[0x73691630d73b]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x115a56)[0x73691630ea56]
emacs(+0x24a063)[0x5cc8dc482063]
/usr/lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/treesit-37439c61-97df641d.eln(F747265657369742d666f6e742d6c6f636b2d666f6e746966792d726567696f6e_treesit_font_lock_fontify_region_0+0x1f2)[0x7369068e6832]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
/usr/bin/../lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/preloaded/font-lock-895216f6-1f3b244f.eln(F666f6e742d6c6f636b2d666f6e746966792d73796e746163746963616c6c792d726567696f6e_font_lock_fontify_syntactically_region_0+0x62)[0x736911930f42]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
/usr/bin/../lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/preloaded/font-lock-895216f6-1f3b244f.eln(F666f6e742d6c6f636b2d64656661756c742d666f6e746966792d726567696f6e_font_lock_default_fontify_region_0+0x4af)[0x73691192ebef]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
/usr/bin/../lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/preloaded/font-lock-895216f6-1f3b244f.eln(F666f6e742d6c6f636b2d666f6e746966792d726567696f6e_font_lock_fontify_region_0+0x93)[0x73691192d873]
emacs(+0x2078be)[0x5cc8dc43f8be]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
emacs(+0x1bac31)[0x5cc8dc3f2c31]
emacs(+0x1b567c)[0x5cc8dc3ed67c]
/usr/bin/../lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/preloaded/jit-lock-8a988e43-a9956d8b.eln(F6a69742d6c6f636b2d2d72756e2d66756e6374696f6e73_jit_lock__run_functions_0+0xd8)[0x736911597c88]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
/usr/bin/../lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/preloaded/jit-lock-8a988e43-a9956d8b.eln(F6a69742d6c6f636b2d666f6e746966792d6e6f77_jit_lock_fontify_now_0+0x80a)[0x73691159859a]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
/usr/bin/../lib/emacs/29.3/native-lisp/29.3-4b59e32f/preloaded/jit-lock-8a988e43-a9956d8b.eln(F6a69742d6c6f636b2d66756e6374696f6e_jit_lock_function_0+0x26f)[0x73691159798f]
emacs(+0x1b661e)[0x5cc8dc3ee61e]
emacs(+0x29e8d1)[0x5cc8dc4d68d1]
emacs(+0x4d90b)[0x5cc8dc28590b]
emacs(+0x53a10)[0x5cc8dc28ba10]
emacs(+0x57d96)[0x5cc8dc28fd96]
emacs(+0x5da76)[0x5cc8dc295a76]
emacs(+0x54976)[0x5cc8dc28c976]
emacs(+0x76af9)[0x5cc8dc2aeaf9]
emacs(+0x7ea02)[0x5cc8dc2b6a02]
emacs(+0x6f4c3)[0x5cc8dc2a74c3]
emacs(+0x1b3aec)[0x5cc8dc3ebaec]
emacs(+0x6f418)[0x5cc8dc2a7418]
emacs(+0x6f43d)[0x5cc8dc2a743d]
...
Aborted (core dumped)

My error seems to be similiar to this one:
https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter/issues/3296

However, I was encouraged on #emacs to file another bug report to the
emacs project.

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
cairo version 1.18.0)
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --with-native-compilation=aot --sysconfdir=/etc
 --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib --with-tree-sitter
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --disable-build-details
 --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
 -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto'
 'CXXFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-global-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  global-evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  minimap-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  general-override-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  elpaca-use-package-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug mule-util vc-git vc-dispatcher
org-indent toc-org oc-basic ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader range ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex
bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi pulse org-agenda org-element
org-persist xdg org-id avl-tree org-refile time rainbow-delimiters
rainbow-mode hl-todo orderless marginalia vertico corfu ob-restclient
restclient magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit package browse-url url-handlers magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff-mode git-commit log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode transient
magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm org-bullets
sudo-edit dired-open dired-hacks-utils dired-x tldr vterm-toggle
tramp-sh vterm bookmark pp tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 face-remap color
vterm-module term/xterm xterm eshell-syntax-highlighting em-prompt
em-alias eshell-toggle term disp-table shell ehelp esh-mode eshell
esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util files-x neotree projectile project lisp-mnt grep
compile text-property-search ibuf-ext evil-collection-ibuffer ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs evil-collection-dashboard dashboard dashboard-widgets
recentf tree-widget wid-edit ffap diminish which-key perspective ido
evil-tutor evil-collection-unimpaired evil-collection-dired
evil-collection annalist evil evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands
reveal evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice evil-common
thingatpt rect evil-vars edmacro kmacro minimap undo-tree diff queue avy
all-the-icons-dired dired dired-loaddefs all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons data-octicons
data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core comp
comp-cstr warnings shrink-path f s dash nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces
nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon nerd-icons-data-flicon
nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon nerd-icons-data-sucicon
nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon nerd-icons-data-powerline
nerd-icons-data-octicon nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon
compat doom-nord-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base general
orderless-autoloads marginalia-autoloads consult-autoloads
vertico-autoloads corfu-autoloads ob-restclient-autoloads
restclient-autoloads git-timemachine-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
org-bullets-autoloads toc-org-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
peep-dired-autoloads dired-open-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads
tldr-autoloads vterm-toggle-autoloads vterm-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eshell-toggle-autoloads
diminish-autoloads neotree-autoloads projectile-autoloads
dashboard-autoloads which-key-autoloads perspective-autoloads
evil-tutor-autoloads evil-collection-autoloads annalist-autoloads
evil-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads minimap-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads avy-autoloads all-the-icons-dired-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads compat-autoloads
nerd-icons-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads
dash-autoloads doom-themes-autoloads general-autoloads
app-launcher-autoloads org-tempo tempo display-line-numbers autorevert
filenotify elec-pair delsel cl-extra help-mode app-launchers buffer-move
windmove elpaca-setup elpaca-use-package use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core elpaca-use-package-autoloads elpaca-log
elpaca-ui url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
eieio eieio-core password-cache json map byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars mailcap cl-seq cl-macs gv elpaca elpaca-process
elpaca-autoloads org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date
subr-x noutline outline icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
format-spec cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1019023 61146)
 (symbols 48 47444 3)
 (strings 32 317535 5547)
 (string-bytes 1 7916279)
 (vectors 16 95168)
 (vector-slots 8 2017207 65876)
 (floats 8 1478 287)
 (intervals 56 10218 397)
 (buffers 984 23))