Subject: bug#70413: 30.0.50; FR: skip inactive widgets when tabbing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:53:48 +0300

> Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 11:20:10 +0200
> From:  Stephen Berman via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> In buffers containing widgets, such as the Customize buffers, the
> widgets can be either active or inactive: when you click (with the mouse
> or RET) on an active widget, its associated action is executed, and when
> you click on an inactive widget, this raises the error "Attempt to
> perform action on inactive widget".  You can navigate among the widgets
> by pressing TAB or S-TAB to move point to the next or previous widget.
> 
> I think it would be useful and convenient to skip over inactive widgets
> when tabbing; e.g. you then avoid accidentally tabbing to an inactive
> widget, typing RET and getting the error, and in a buffer with many
> active and inactive widgets, you can tab more quickly to the desired
> active widget by skipping over the inactive ones.
> 
> The attached patch implements this behavior.  Since tabbing to inactive
> widgets has always been the behavior in the widget library, skipping is
> conditioned on the value of a boolean defcustom, with the default being
> the current non-skipping.

This is OK, but please announce this new option in NEWS.