Subject: Re: bug#70413: 30.0.50; FR: skip inactive widgets when tabbing

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:36:04 +0200

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:42:49 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:57:56 +0200
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:04:34 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> >> +@defopt widget-skip-inactive
>> >> +If non-@code{nil}, navigating between widgets by @kbd{M-@key{TAB}}
>> >                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Oops, that was copy-pasta; thanks for catching it.
>>
>> > This should probably be @kbd{key{TAB}}.
>>
>> Or rather @key{TAB}, right?  That's what's used earlier in the Widget
>> manual and IIUC is what (info "(texinfo) @key") recommends.
>
> No, @kbd{@key{TAB}} is correct when you are talking about user typing
> something (as opposed to talking about the key TAB).
>
> Texinfo explicitly tells you that @key is for naming a key, not for
> describing user input.

Ah, ok.  I guess I misunderstood that, and also I misinterpreted the use
of @key{TAB} in (info "(widget) Widgets and the Buffer") that I referred
to above: it is in a table that begins with @table @kbd, so the effect
is that of @kbd{@key{TAB}}.  (But I do think there are several typos or
incorrect markup in that node and possibly elsewhere in the Widget
manual; but I'll make a separate bug report about that.)

>>   If non-@code{nil}, skip over inactive widgets when using @key{TAB}
>>   (@code{widget-forward}) or @kbd{S-@key{TAB}} (@code{widget-backward},
>>   also bound to @kbd{M-@key{TAB}}) to navigate between widgets.
>>
>> Is this formulation acceptable?
>
> Yes, thanks.

Thanks, I've pushed the changes to master as commit 91333dacfa1.

Steve Berman