Subject: bug#70408: 30.0.50; Eglot and Project integration

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:33:31 +0100

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 12:42 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think this discussion should include João, so I added him.

Alright.

More importantly, I think this discussion should include Dmitry, as this seems
to me a project.el extension.

This discussion should be aware of these half-recent developments
https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/discussions/1337

In a few words, Eglot user's main gripe with project.el is project.el's
inability to help the user define or designate subprojects within
larger projects.
Eglot has worked around that, and the current work-around is very
effective (though not really well documented beyond that GitHub discussion
forum).

If Ergus's developments change project.el so that this special Eglot code
isn't necessary, that's great IMO.  If they make it so that Eglot now has
to depend on extra package and extra project.el features, that's not so
great.

That's my opinion as current Eglot maintainer.  A capable future
Eglot maintainer may have another opinion and want to steer ship
in a completely different direction.  I'm looking for such a person, btw.

João