Subject: bug#70402: closed (Re: bug#70402: 29.3; Error in "(emacs)Package Installation" description.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:56:15 +0000

Your bug report

#70402: 29.3; Error in "(emacs)Package Installation" description.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70402: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70402
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70402: 29.3; Error in "(emacs)Package Installation" description.
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:54:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:20:41 -0400
> 
> >>>>> M-x customize-option RET
> >>>>> Customize variable: package-enable-at-startup RET
> [...]
> > Stefan, any suggestions?
> 
> All I can offer is to muddy the water a bit more: the above
> customization *can* work, if you save your Custom settings in your
> `early-init.el` (or in another file that's loaded from that file).

Thanks, I've updated the documentation on master with this info.

> But, yeah, it's more misleading than useful to to have it as
> a Custom variable.

I guess at this late stage we cannot make this a defvar, so I left it
to be a defcustom.

And with that, I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 29.3; Error in "(emacs)Package Installation" description.
From: tpeplt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:03:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In the Info node for the Emacs user manual "(emacs) Package
Installation", there is the following paragraph:

"To keep Emacs from automatically making packages available at
startup, change the variable ‘package-enable-at-startup’ to ‘nil’.  You
must do this in the early init file, as the variable is read before
loading the regular init file.  Currently this variable cannot be set
via Customize."

The final sentence in this paragraph says that
‘package-enable-at-startup’ cannot be set via Customize, but it is
possible in Emacs 29.3 to set that variable via Customize.  Type the
following:

M-x customize-option RET
Customize variable: package-enable-at-startup RET

After this sequence, the buffer "*Customize Option: Package Enable At
Startup*" is displayed, which according to the Emacs user manual should
not be possible.

-- 
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.