Subject: bug#70402: 29.3; Error in "(emacs)Package Installation" description.

From: tpeplt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:03:25 -0400

In the Info node for the Emacs user manual "(emacs) Package
Installation", there is the following paragraph:

"To keep Emacs from automatically making packages available at
startup, change the variable ‘package-enable-at-startup’ to ‘nil’.  You
must do this in the early init file, as the variable is read before
loading the regular init file.  Currently this variable cannot be set
via Customize."

The final sentence in this paragraph says that
‘package-enable-at-startup’ cannot be set via Customize, but it is
possible in Emacs 29.3 to set that variable via Customize.  Type the
following:

M-x customize-option RET
Customize variable: package-enable-at-startup RET

After this sequence, the buffer "*Customize Option: Package Enable At
Startup*" is displayed, which according to the Emacs user manual should
not be possible.

-- 
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.