Subject: bug#70399: ConTeXT options need updating

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:31:34 +0900

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your report. None of the AUCTeX maintainer uses ConTeXt,
so inputs from ConTeXt user are valuable.

>>>>> Jim <[email-masked]> writes:
> (1) TeX-command-list contains the following
>     ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
>     and --texutil isn't in texlive 2023's context, texlive 2024's context,
>     or the context in the ConTeXt distribution.

It is easy to remove "--texutil", but I'd like to ask whether it is safe
for older (before 2023) TeX distribution to do so. What was this option
"--texutil" for? Unfortunately, "context --help" of TeX Live 2024
doesn't give me useful information.

> (2) A recent change (early April 2024?) to context has changed how
>     synctex is done.
>     On the good side, with the right option context will produce a
>     synctex file that epdfinfo knows how to parse.
>     On the bad side,
>     (a) rather than calling with "--synctex=1" (as done in
>         ConTeXt-expand-options in context.el) the correct option is now
>         "--synctex=repeat";
>     (b) but if context is called with "--nonstopmode" (or "--nonstop")
>         the "--synctex=..." request to create a synctex file is over-ridden.
>     It is easy for a user who knows what is going on to use
>         (setq ConTeXt-texexec-option-nonstop "")
>     but changing --synctex=1 to --synctex=repeat seems to require
>     a redefinition of the function.

> The --synctex=repeat version may not have reached texlive 2024 yet, but
> using --synctex=repeat with the version of context in TL2024 creates the
> same synctex file as --synctex=1, so there seems to be no harm in
> changing this.

OK, then I'll change "--synctex=1" to "--synctex=repeat", expecting that
the situation about compatibility is the same for older ConTeXt.

> Bonus "bug": TeX-submit-bug-report suggests upgrading to the version from
> https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex, but as of today that would be a
> downgrade, since it says the current auctex version is 13.3.

The message is followed by "if your installation is older than the one
available from the web site.", isn't it? 🙂

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW