Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Reduce the size of gnu/packages/*.go files

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:27:36 +0200

Hello!

As a followup to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70280>, I started looking
into the size of Guix itself, and in particular that of gnu/packages/*.go
files.

What follows is a bunch of tricks to reduce code bloat, achieving ~14%
reduction in the size of .go files (~18% if we look at gnu/packages
alone).

About 60% of those files are in the 64–128 KiB range.  Since ELF sections
are currently 64 KiB-aligned (see ‘*lcm-page-size*’ in Guile), we would
save space by ensuring these are sparse files.  To do that, we’ll need to
detect holes when restoring nars and/or to change the nar format to
preserve holes, while also ensuring that when the daemon copies files
around, it also preserves holes.  Work for later!

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (5):
  records: Do not inline throws for ABI mismatches.
  packages: Reduce bloat induced by ‘sanitize-inputs’.
  records: Do not inline the constructor.
  packages: ‘define-public’ replacement calls ‘module-export!’ directly.
  packages: Reduce code bloat due to list allocation in input fields.

 guix/packages.scm | 53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 guix/records.scm  | 58 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 2 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)

base-commit: cd45294d576975a3bff2f755764a3f46f09ea6f9
-- 
2.41.0