Subject: Re: bug#70382: 29.3; Info-fontify-node renders cross-references misleadingly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:16:13 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 14:43:31 -0400
> 
> > I think the only sane way of dealing with this problem is to disable
> > Info-hide-note-references in that particular node (and any other
> > nodes,  if we find them, where there's a similar issue).  The patch
> > below attempts to do that.
> 
> Sounds OK.

OK, I will install this soon, unless Juri (or someone else) comes up
with something more elegant.

> > Juri and Stefan, do you see a cleaner solution?
> 
> We could try and detect that the cross ref is within a '...'.

That would fail in other cases.

> BTW, I'm not sure whether the current behavior is really a problem:
> after all, in Emacs, people indeed won't see something of the form
> `*note NAME: NODE.` but they'll see something of the form `see NAME` or
> `See NAME`, so the bug could be considered a feature (depending on
> whether we think the doc describes the content of the Info file or
> whether it describes when readers will see when reading their doc in
> Emacs).

Yes, but here we make worse mistakes: not only we should "see" with
wrong capitalization, we also make the impression that @ref shows as
"see" in Emacs (it doesn't) and @pxref shows "*note" (it shows "see").

(I think the text should have a note that in Emacs these
cross-references will look differently, but that's a patch to be
submitted to the Texinfo developers.)