Subject: bug#7038: 24.0.50; bidi, right-char, left-char

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:41:06 +0200

> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:24:23 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > >> 2. visit the h.txt file
> > >> 3. move the point with <right> (right-char) to  ב (BET) and beyond
> > >>    ==> cursor jumps between point 2 and point 3.

Hmm.  On second thought, maybe you meant to continue pressing
<right-arrow> _after_ reaching BET.

In that case, what you see is a side-effect of a feature: the effect
of <right-arrow> is different depending on whether point is in a
left-to-right paragraph or in a right-to-left paragraph.  In the
former case, <right-arrow> advances _forward_ in the buffer, but in
the latter case, it moves _back_.  (This is so pressing <right-arrow>
would move to the right no matter what is the directionality of the
paragraph.)  When you move from a left-to-right paragraph to a
right-to-left one, the meaning of <right-arrow> changes, so you need
to press <left-arrow> to continue moving forward beyond BET.