Subject: bug#70375: closed (Re: bug#70375: 30.0.50; Obsolete certain comint-osc symbols)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:48:13 +0000

Your bug report

#70375: 30.0.50; Obsolete certain comint-osc symbols

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70375: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70375
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70375: 30.0.50; Obsolete certain comint-osc symbols
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:46:43 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:46 +0200
> 
> When ansi-osc.el was created, moving code originally in comint.el, the
> variable and function aliases created for backwards compatibility
> purposes were not marked as obsolete.  The attached patch fixes this.

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Please in the future make sure to format the commit log messages
according to our conventions.  Commands like "C-x 4 a" can help you do
that.

Subject: 30.0.50; Obsolete certain comint-osc symbols
From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When ansi-osc.el was created, moving code originally in comint.el, the
variable and function aliases created for backwards compatibility
purposes were not marked as obsolete.  The attached patch fixes this.

>From a2b4a0e0282f94949890cff65427e7536642cc0b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:43:27 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Obsolete comint-osc symbols moved to ansi-osc.el

* lisp/comint.el (comint-osc-handlers, comint-osc-directory-tracker,
comint-osc-hyperlink-handler, comint-osc-hyperlink,
comint-osc-hyperlink-map): Mark as obsolete.
---
 lisp/comint.el | 26 +++++++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/comint.el b/lisp/comint.el
index a8fe095e99c..bae89beb76b 100644
--- a/lisp/comint.el
+++ b/lisp/comint.el
@@ -3961,18 +3961,22 @@ comint-redirect-results-list-from-process
 ;;; OSC escape sequences (Operating System Commands)
 ;;============================================================================
 ;; Adding `comint-osc-process-output' to
-;; `comint-output-filter-functions' enables the interpretation of OSC
-;; escape sequences.  By default, OSC 7 and 8 (for current directory
-;; and hyperlinks respectively) are acted upon.  Adding more entries
-;; to `comint-osc-handlers' allows a customized treatment of further
-;; sequences.
+;; `comint-output-filter-functions' enables the interpreting of OSC
+;; escape sequences.  See `ansi-osc-handlers' for a list of OSC
+;; sequences which are interpreted by default and information on how to
+;; handle new sequences.
 
 ;; Aliases defined for reverse compatibility
-(defvaralias 'comint-osc-handlers 'ansi-osc-handlers)
-(defalias 'comint-osc-directory-tracker 'ansi-osc-directory-tracker)
-(defalias 'comint-osc-hyperlink-handler 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-handler)
-(defalias 'comint-osc-hyperlink 'ansi-osc-hyperlink)
-(defvaralias 'comint-osc-hyperlink-map 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-map)
+(define-obsolete-variable-alias
+  'comint-osc-handlers 'ansi-osc-handlers "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-function-alias
+  'comint-osc-directory-tracker 'ansi-osc-directory-tracker "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-function-alias
+  'comint-osc-hyperlink-handler 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-handler "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-function-alias
+  'comint-osc-hyperlink 'ansi-osc-hyperlink "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-variable-alias
+  'comint-osc-hyperlink-map 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-map "30.1")
 
 (defun comint-osc-process-output (_)
   "Interpret OSC escape sequences in comint output.
@@ -3985,7 +3989,7 @@ comint-osc-process-output
 
 Specifically, every occurrence of such escape sequences is
 removed from the buffer.  Then, if `command' is a key of the
-`comint-osc-handlers' alist, the corresponding value, which
+`ansi-osc-handlers' alist, the corresponding value, which
 should be a function, is called with `command' and `text' as
 arguments, with point where the escape sequence was located."
   (let ((start (1- comint-last-output-start))
-- 
2.44.0