Subject: bug#70365: 29.2; Unable to remove suffixes such as Emacs-Lisp/l or C++//l from mode-name variable

From: Animesh Sahu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:56:20 +0530

--text follows this line--

I was trying to set up emacs modeline, the major modes however under the
variable name "mode-name" seems to have a suffix injected, and thus it
renders either C++//l instead of C++ and Emacs-Lisp/l instead of
Emacs-Lisp, I would like it to be simply the name of major mode without
extra details. And I don't seem to find any way of doing that anywhere on
the internet.

Closest I could find something is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/8v8de4/change_modename_for_major_mode/
it suggests doing something like (defalias 'c-update-modeline #'ignore),
but this doesn't seem right way to do it, since its basically doing only
for C or C++ language, same has to be done for java, ts, many more. Also
Emacs-Lisp/l doesn't have similar function that can be suppressed with
'ignore either, so I don't see a concrete way of doing it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Void Linux

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/5hl68vr85cagmwaycqy652r2g2isjcyq-emacs-29.2
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-compress-install
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-native-compilation
 --without-imagemagick --without-small-ja-dic --with-tree-sitter
 --with-xinput2 --without-xwidgets'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH:
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  org-html-themify-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  telephone-line-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  undo-fu-session-global-mode: t
  undo-fu-session-mode: t
  global-evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  general-override-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  elpaca-use-package-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: #[128 \304\300\301 #\207 [yas--auto-fill #[128
\301\302\300! "\207 [auto-fill-function apply default-value] 4

(fn &rest ARGS)] :around nil apply] 5 advice]
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/nix/store/1vlha7xa4myxc37y3463c2f481w3vw81-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
hides
/nix/store/5hl68vr85cagmwaycqy652r2g2isjcyq-emacs-29.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/animesh/.emacs.d/elpaca/builds/transient/transient hides
/nix/store/5hl68vr85cagmwaycqy652r2g2isjcyq-emacs-29.2/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug cua-base cl-print em-unix em-term
evil-collection-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-ls em-hist
em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var em-basic em-banner
em-alias evil-collection-eshell em-prompt esh-mode eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
company-elisp org-html-themify ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok
nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox htmlize oc-basic ol-eww evil-collection-eww eww url-queue
mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec evil-collection-epa epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win evil-collection-gnus
gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview
evil-collection-doc-view doc-view filenotify evil-collection-image
image-mode exif evil-collection-dired dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex
bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi pp mule-util
evil-collection-vc-git vc-git evil-collection-diff-mode diff-mode
vc-dispatcher jka-compr hl-todo company-yasnippet hexrgb telephone-line
telephone-line-segments telephone-line-separators telephone-line-utils
doom-city-lights-theme doom-themes-ext-visual-bell face-remap hl-line
doom-themes doom-themes-base evil-collection-helpful helpful cc-langs
evil-collection-imenu imenu trace evil-collection-edebug edebug
evil-collection-debug debug backtrace info-look evil-collection-info
info f help-fns radix-tree evil-collection-elisp-refs elisp-refs
marginalia evil-collection-embark embark-org org-element org-persist xdg
org-id org-refile avl-tree embark projectile lisp-mnt
evil-collection-grep grep evil-collection-compile compile
text-property-search ibuf-ext evil-collection-ibuffer ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs nix-mode ffap smie nix-repl nix-shell nix-store
evil-collection-magit-section magit-section cursor-sensor nix-log
nix-instantiate nix-shebang nix-format nix evil-collection-markdown-mode
markdown-mode color yasnippet company-tabnine s dash company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
evil-collection-xref xref company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb evil-collection-company
company hop orderless evil-collection-vertico vertico compat
evil-collection-which-key which-key evil-collection-vundo vundo
undo-fu-session undo-fu hl-todo-autoloads org-html-themify-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads hexrgb-autoloads telephone-line-autoloads
doom-themes-autoloads helpful-autoloads f-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads embark-autoloads projectile-autoloads
nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads transient-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads company-tabnine-autoloads
dash-autoloads s-autoloads company-autoloads hop-autoloads
orderless-autoloads vertico-autoloads compat-autoloads
which-key-autoloads vundo-autoloads undo-fu-session-autoloads
undo-fu-autoloads chdir chdir-core tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 pcre pcre-core
evil-collection-unimpaired evil-collection-tabulated-list
evil-collection-tab-bar evil-collection-simple evil-collection-replace
evil-collection-python evil-collection-process-menu
evil-collection-outline evil-collection-org evil-collection-indent
evil-collection-help evil-collection-elisp-mode evil-collection-eldoc
evil-collection-elpaca evil-collection-comint evil-collection-calendar
evil-collection-buff-menu evil-collection annalist evil evil-integration
evil-maps evil-commands reveal evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types
evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice
evil-common thingatpt rect evil-vars edmacro kmacro comp comp-cstr
warnings general evil-collection-autoloads annalist-autoloads
evil-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads general-autoloads cl-extra help-mode
ob-js ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-ruby ob-python python project pcase treesit
ob-shell shell display-line-numbers winner recentf tree-widget wid-edit
savehist org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline
outline icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec
elpaca-use-package use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core elpaca-use-package-autoloads elpaca-log elpaca-ui url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars mailcap cl-seq cl-macs elpaca elpaca-process cl-loaddefs cl-lib
elpaca-autoloads early-init gv rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 967497 256396)
 (symbols 48 49654 3)
 (strings 32 312726 26972)
 (string-bytes 1 9196016)
 (vectors 16 93110)
 (vector-slots 8 2293913 442255)
 (floats 8 906 1912)
 (intervals 56 4205 1976)
 (buffers 984 26))