Subject: bug#70358: closed (Re: bug#70358: ERC not changing to buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 22:39:03 +0000

Your bug report

#70358: ERC not changing to buffers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70358: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70358
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70358: ERC not changing to buffers
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:37:49 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The bug reporter has contacted me off-list and considers the issue resolved.
Thanks and closing.

Subject: ERC not changing to buffers
From: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:31:30 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello there!

I am not completely sure this is a bug, but since some versions ago (I
am on emacs 29.3 for Linux), ERC stopped (what I use to remember) a
behaviour.

If I call ERC with  `M-x erc`, it connects, but keeps the buffer on the
background, and I have to manually switch to it.

The same with `/join #channel` and other commands.

I find it confusing and non-intuitive, it makes the user believe
something wrong happened. I come from the old school of iirc, Bitchx,
mIrc, and so on. I can´t remember ever seen such behaviour for issuing
IRC commands (even on ERC).

Is this a bug? A feature? Is there a custom variable to keep the old
behaviour?

Strangelly if someone `/query me` it pops up a buffer (for that I know
there's a switch). So, two sides of the same coin I guess?

If anyone could help me, I'd be more than happy.

Thanks.