Subject: Re: bug#70357: 30.0.50; loadup.el, load nadvice before seq

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:30:54 +0300

> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
>  text editors" <[email-masked]>,  Stefan Monnier
>  <[email-masked]>,  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:26:04 +0200
> 
> What Stefan said about the different behaviour when some files are
> compiled and others are not, is, I guess, what I see here. Sometimes
> things work, sometimes they don't. Eli's attempt to reproduce the
> problem also shows that, I think. Hence my thought if it wouldn't be an
> idea to ignore .elcs when dumping bootstrap-emacs.pdmp. It doesn't help
> with circular dependencies, but at least it is easier to reproduce when
> it happens.

If we load only *.el files into bootstrap-emacs, then bootstrap-emacs
will be much slower.  And since it is used to compile many Lisp files,
the net effect will be to make the build (not just bootstrap, but
_every_ build) slower.  This is a serious disadvantage from where I
stand.  So I hope we can find a better way of fixing this.  Especially
since the problem seems to be marginal and rare, so punishing everyone
because of it doesn't sound TRT to me.