Subject: bug#70357: 30.0.50; loadup.el, load nadvice before seq

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:26:04 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
> text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I did not look in enough detail to see the specific problem.  E.g. I
>> don't know what is the actual warning that we're trying to emit.
>
> It says
>
>   byte-compile-report-error((void-function advice--cd*r))

Right, that's where I got the idea from that loading nadvice first might
help.

>
> This should be the occurrence in `byte-compile--function-signature', no?
> And nadvice.el maybe not loaded?
>
> AFAIU this could be the cause of the circle and its recursion.

What Stefan said about the different behaviour when some files are
compiled and others are not, is, I guess, what I see here. Sometimes
things work, sometimes they don't. Eli's attempt to reproduce the
problem also shows that, I think. Hence my thought if it wouldn't be an
idea to ignore .elcs when dumping bootstrap-emacs.pdmp. It doesn't help
with circular dependencies, but at least it is easier to reproduce when
it happens.