Subject: Re: bug#70348: [PATCH] Make preview placement more flexible

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:25:35 +0200

Hi Paul,

Paul Nelson <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch has no effect on current behavior, but introduces a
> variable preview-find-end-function that would allow (e.g.) an external
> package to modify how previews overlays are placed, without resorting
> to advice.
>
> The code needed to be rearranged a bit because the implementation of
> preview-find-end-function that I have in mind requires the beginning
> of the region as an argument, which thus needs to be computed outside
> the argument list of preview-place-preview.
>
> This patch complements the preprocessing step introduced in bug#70295.
> I'd be happy to supply more detailed motivation if that would be
> helpful.

I can't install the patch with 'git am' and get:

  Applying: Make preview placement more flexible
  error: patch failed: preview.el.in:3273
  error: preview.el.in: patch does not apply
  Patch failed at 0001 Make preview placement more flexible

Do have the chance to look at this and resolve this?  Otherwise I'll
have to have a closer look.

TIA.  Best, Arash