Subject: [bug#70335] Acknowledgement ([PATCH 0/4] linux-libre kernel updates (2024-04-11))

From: Wilko Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:13:05 +0200

It seems that there's a known issue[0] with at least the 6.8.5 and
6.6.26 releases of this round, preventing system boot if
CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_STACKLEAK is set, as we have enabled it for all 6.x.x
kernels:

λ rg -c 'CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_STACKLEAK=y' linux-libre/6.*
linux-libre/6.8-x86_64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.8-i686.conf:1
linux-libre/6.8-arm64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.7-x86_64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.7-i686.conf:1
linux-libre/6.7-arm64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.6-x86_64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.6-i686.conf:1
linux-libre/6.6-arm64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.1-x86_64.conf:1
linux-libre/6.1-i686.conf:1
linux-libre/6.1-arm64.conf:1

we seem to have three options:

- applying
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e7d24c0aa8e678f41457d1304e2091cac6fd1a2e
  as suggested on the corresponding LKML thread[1].
- holding back this round for 6.8.x and 6.6.x. until next weeks round.
- applying it and hope it won't cause too much breakage

3. seems to be the worst option with the bug report in mind, 2. would be
the option with the least overhead. 1. would have some overhead but
seems to fix the situation so this round would be usable. WDYT?

[0]: https://fosstodon.org/@kernellogger/112251747670970164
[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/#t

-- 
Kind regards,

Wilko Meyer
[email-masked]