Subject: bug#70331: closed (Re: bug#70331: [PATCH] Call custom folding functions with consistent point)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:15:03 +0000

Your bug report

#70331: [PATCH] Call custom folding functions with consistent point

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70331: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70331
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70331: [PATCH] Call custom folding functions with consistent point
From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:13:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Paul Nelson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just to be clear: bug or devel?

If you want to send a patch, then bug, if you want to discuss the point,
devel, I'd say.

> There's some discussion on the magit repo at
> https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/2848 (but no solution there,
> from what I can tell).

I can hardly imagine that Magit doesn't cater for `fill-column' when
composing commit messages, but again, I don't use Magit.

I think we're done with this report, so I'm closing this.

Best, Arash

Subject: [PATCH] Call custom folding functions with consistent point
From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 07:47:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

As you know, one way to customize TeX-fold-mode is to supply functions
to the variables TeX-fold-*-spec-list, which are then called by
TeX-fold-hide-item.  This patch introduces the convention that such
functions are called with point positioned at the beginning of the
item to be folded.  This already happens "by accident" when the
folding occurs via TeX-fold-region, but not via TeX-fold-post-command,
for instance.

The motivation for having a consistent convention is that it makes it
possible (or at least simpler) to introduce more advanced folding
specs that depend on more than just the provided argument list.  For
example, in https://github.com/ultronozm/czm-tex-fold.el, I have used
similar functionality, implemented via :override advice, to fold
\begin{theorem} as "Theorem 1.1", with the correct equation number.
The patch would allow me to excise the advice.

Thanks, best,

Paul