Subject: bug#70326: 30.0.50; Backup Files documentation does not match observed behaviour

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:38:49 +0300

> From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 08:11:48 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > When have you last looked at the documentation in that part of the
> > manual?
> 
> I last looked at it a few seconds ago to verify that it still reads as I
> originally posted it, and indeed it still reads:
> 
>     Emacs makes a backup for a file only the first time the file is
>     saved from a buffer.

Here, it says this instead:

  A “backup file” is a copy of the old contents of a file you are editing.
  Emacs makes a backup file the first time you save a buffer into its
  visited file.

> To repeat the original issue, this is not the behaviour I observe: There
> are cases where the file is saved from a buffer, and Emacs does not make
> a backup. I previously posted an example in this thread, and I hope you
> find it useful. Thank you a lot!

In the two cases you posted, the buffer was not saved into the file
visited by the buffer, so this is not "backup" in Emacs terms.