Subject: Re: [bug#70282] [PATCH v4] gnu: gnome-shell: Wrap screencast service.

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 14:59:40 +0000

Hi Liliana and Maxim,

On 09.05.24 00:11, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Hi Dariqq,
> 
> Am Mittwoch, dem 08.05.2024 um 21:18 +0000 schrieb Dariqq:
>> [...]
>>
>> On 08.05.24 21:51, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Perhaps a simple patch would convey the change better and be easier
>>> to
>>> maintain in the future / be readily available for other
>>> distributions to
>>> use.
>>
>> The simple patch that would do this is basically the patch from nixos
>> in  v1 of this which adds a shebang line for gjs to the service
>> invocation files (rather than the dbus service invoking $gjs
>> $service). The problem then is that wrap-program changes the filename
>> to * .real which makes gjs unhappy.
>>
>> [...]
>> Maybe another comment, similiar to the one Liliana suggested earlier
>> in this thread, could be added at the beginning to inform about
>> changing to wrap script + patch instead once that is a viable option?
> The pattern we typically use is to add an autotools-style "variable",
> e.g. @GNOME_SHELL_GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH@ through a patch, then use
> substitute* to fill it in.  I don't think it's a requirement, but since
> Maxim suggested, it'd definitely be nice to have.
> 

Tried this today and as the js service files are created from a common 
template using mesons 'configure_file' method this sets all 
autotools-style variables unknown to meson to the empty string. 
Afterwardes the susbtitute* at the wrapping phase is unable to replace 
anything ofc.

So I think I would need to either change the naming-scheme of the 
placeholders or substitute them into the template file  before the files 
get configured by meson.

Do you have a preference for any option (or maybe another idea)?

> Cheers
Have a nice day