Subject: Re: [bug#70282] [PATCH v2] gnu: gnome-shell: Wrap screencast service.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:51:36 +0200

Am Freitag, dem 12.04.2024 um 17:26 +0000 schrieb Dariqq:
> The screencast service can now find typelibs and gstreamer plugins.
> 
> * gnu/packages/linux.scm (gnome-shell)
> [inputs]: Add gst-plugins-good and pipewire.
> [#:phases]<'wrap-programs>: Create a wrapper for screencast service
> and use it.
> 
> Change-Id: I2c31bf1bd92e281b86c57b06988c6a3793a58d40
> ---
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Here is v2 of the patch. The wrapper is now created manually as I was
> unable to find a way to manipulate the gstreamer plugin load path
> from within javascript. Importantly this leaves the original
> javascript file untouched and therefore circumvents the argv[0]
> problem in v1.
> All the required gstreamer plugins (pipewire and gst-plugins-good)
> are now inputs and are in the wrapper via GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH.
I'm not sure this fix is sounds.  It looks like it misses manual
invocation from the command line, does it not?  (Well, it's gnome-
shell, so if you have to invoke it from the command line, things are
broken, but still…)  What keeps you from wrapping the environment
variable in Javascript?

> I've also left a comment for the required home-pipewire-service.
> In gnome-shell 45+ the invocation has changed to 'gjs -m service'.
> Should this also be a comment somewhere?
Gnome-shell 45+ is currently irrelevant, but we might have to adapt
things once we get there on gnome-team.  We do need a better gjs-
patching strategy.

Cheers