Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Reducing system size: locales and initrd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:22:38 +0200

Hello Guix,

I noticed¹ that ‘bare-bones.tmpl’ now leads to instances around
1.5 GiB, which I think is totally unreasonable, to say the least.

This patch series does the easy changes to get it to ~1.1 GiB,
which is still unreasonable, but at least should allow our installation
tests to run without having to increase the disk size again.

Thoughts?

The next but more difficult steps will be stripping Guix and Linux:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size $(./pre-inst-env guix system build gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl) | head
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/c650m9hh6zydh5nvnm4nk0m9y17y81cp-guix-1.4.0-18.4c94b9e   706.0   400.6  30.9%
/gnu/store/4z12nyxz5vc4r2hds08p2sfm0yjhlcka-linux-libre-6.7.11     119.6   119.6   9.2%
/gnu/store/1gd9nsy4cps8fnrd1avkc9l01l7ywiai-guile-3.0.9            135.0    53.1   4.1%
/gnu/store/bhynhk0c6ssq3fqqc59fvhxjzwywsjbb-guile-3.0.9            135.0    53.1   4.1%
/gnu/store/zh8ggd9z115agdx7yllvbr6vlg4zlis8-guile-static-initrd-3.0.9    46.0    46.0   3.6%
/gnu/store/lcygm0p2d59acvwi12lwldg5c0d4czpr-git-minimal-2.41.0     148.1    41.2   3.2%
/gnu/store/ln6hxqjvz6m9gdd9s97pivlqck7hzs99-glibc-2.35              40.6    38.8   3.0%
/gnu/store/6ncav55lbk5kqvwwflrzcr41hp5jbq0c-gcc-11.3.0-lib          75.3    34.7   2.7%
/gnu/store/b8wdz91p43s4kw26b300g4k3ap561fyk-locale-2.35             28.3    28.3   2.2%
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Ludo’.

¹ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/3708442/details

Ludovic Courtès (5):
  system: Remove ‘glibc-2.33’ from ‘%default-locale-libcs’.
  system: ‘operating-system-locale-definitions’ includes the OS’ locale.
  locale: Shrink ‘%default-locale-definitions’ from 34 to 10 locales.
  services: build-vm: Provide only one locale.
  linux-initrd: Further strip the static Guile.

 doc/guix.texi                   |  5 +--
 gnu/packages/make-bootstrap.scm | 37 ++++++++++++++++++---
 gnu/services/virtualization.scm |  9 +++++
 gnu/system.scm                  | 28 ++++++++--------
 gnu/system/linux-initrd.scm     |  4 +--
 gnu/system/locale.scm           | 58 +++++++++------------------------
 6 files changed, 77 insertions(+), 64 deletions(-)

base-commit: cd45294d576975a3bff2f755764a3f46f09ea6f9
-- 
2.41.0