Subject: Re: [bug#70280] [PATCH 3/5] locale: Shrink‘%default-locale-definitions’ from 34 to 10 locales.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:20:57 +0200

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> My idea was to include by default a few locales that people may
>> “typically” find useful, in addition to their chosen one.
>
> Hmm but how would they use it?

I don’t use a desktop environment; my use case would be:

  export LC_ALL=…

or, say:

  LANGUAGE=fr:es:en

> Ohh I just noticed that these languages configured here will be the
> options in the GNOME Settings.  I do agree now that the six languages
> are a standard set, although Russian has less speakers than Portuguese
> [1], which gets discussed [2] and I would tend to also include
> Portuguese then, because it has translations unlike Bengali or Hindi.

Yeah, the UN language choice is base on imperialism more than
popularity.

> I would remove ar_JO.  Probably also remove fr_CA, because someone from
> Canada will configure fr_CA during Guix installation.

OK, let’s drop these two and add pt_BR and pt_PT then.

Thanks!

Ludo’.