Subject: [bug#70280] [PATCH 3/5] locale: Shrink ‘%default-locale-definitions’ from 34 to 10 locales.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:22:08 +0200

Guten Tag Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I agree with shrinking default locales, but do not understand what
> benefit it brings that U.N. languages are always included.  Perhaps it
> would be more useful to include en_US only?

My idea was to include by default a few locales that people may
“typically” find useful, in addition to their chosen one.

Of course, it’s an arbitrary choice (choosing the six UN languages makes
it slightly less arbitrary).

> Locales like fr_CA and
> ar_JO do not even have separate teams on translationproject.org.  There
> are reasons for developers to include interesting locales for testing
> like tr_TR or az_AZ, where capitalized i is İ and small I is ı, breaking
> all kinds of programs, but few people would know.

My goal is *not* to provide a default set useful for developers
(otherwise German, Greek, Turkish, and non-UTF-8 locales would be
welcome).

Now, should we remove fr_CA and ar_JO?  Maybe!  I’m open to really any
changes in this list; I just think it should go beyond en_US.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.