Subject: bug#70251: 14.0.4 install from gnu/elpa hangs

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 19:08:32 +0900

Hi Peter,

>>>>> Peter Mao <[email-masked]> writes:
> I'm running emacs 29.3 on GNU/Linux and OSX.  When I updated auctex from v
> 13.2.1 to v. 14.0.4, I see "Checking <path-to>/elpa/auctex-14.0.4..."
> seemingly forever (until I give up and C-g it).

> Any guidance on what's going on here?  Auctex seems to be ok still (I just
> opened a .tex file and looked at it, but didn't push it any further), but
> my package-selected-packages list is all screwed up now.

Sorry for inconvenience. It is known that upgrading to AUCTeX 14 from 13
in running emacs session can lead to unsuccessful installation,
including infinite loop as you experienced.

The first thing which is worth trying is:
  1. Terminate the current running Emacs session and restart Emacs.
  2. Type ‘M-x package-recompile <RET> auctex <RET>’.
  3. Restart your Emacs again.

If you are lucky enough, this will basically resolve the issue. There is
still old ‘auctex-X.Y.Z’ directory left behind under
‘~/.emacs.d/elpa/’, so delete it manually to avoid future trouble.

If the above prescription doesn't work, then try:
  1. Uninstall AUCTeX once.
  2. Restart your Emacs and (before doing anything else) reinstall
     AUCTeX.

In theory, this recipe will circumvent all caveats in ELPA upgrade of
AUCTeX. Find and delete old ‘auctex-X.Y.Z’ directory remaining under
‘~/.emacs.d/elpa/’.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW