Subject: 14.0.4 install from gnu/elpa hangs

From: Peter Mao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 23:52:05 -0700

I'm running emacs 29.3 on GNU/Linux and OSX.  When I updated auctex from v
13.2.1 to v. 14.0.4, I see "Checking <path-to>/elpa/auctex-14.0.4..."
seemingly forever (until I give up and C-g it).

On my G/L system, the relevant output in the *Messages* buffer is:

Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:443 [2 times]
Parsing tar file...done
Extracting...done
  INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...done
  GEN      auctex-autoloads.el
Checking ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.4... [3 times]
Wrote ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.4/auctex.elc
Checking ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.4...
Wrote ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.4/bib-cite.elc
Checking ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.4...
Quit

OSX also hung with the same message, but I didn't look at the *Messages*
buffer.

Any guidance on what's going on here?  Auctex seems to be ok still (I just
opened a .tex file and looked at it, but didn't push it any further), but
my package-selected-packages list is all screwed up now.

Is it possible that this is a much longer process than I'm expecting and I
just need to let it finish?  I haven't timed it yet, but I think I let it
run for ~20 minutes.

Peter