Subject: Re: bug#70215: Documentation about uninstalling

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 20:55:31 +0200

Hi,

I mark this bug as done since the documentation already contains how to
uninstall.

On sam., 13 avril 2024 at 08:25, Bengt Richter <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Nevertheless, `./guix-install.sh --dry-run --uninstall` would be nice.

Well, it would be easy to write a Bash function wrapping ’rm’ and
displaying the files instead of removing them.

Who wants to give a try? ;-)

>> However the script is over 800 lines long. In bash! :-(
>> IMO before increasing script complexity with a new feature, we should
>> rewrite it to some reasonable language, preferably Guile Scheme. Or at
>> least Python.

The maintenance burden Bash vs Python is an opinion. :-)

Well, a rewrite in Scheme/Guile would require to have Guile already
installed to run such script.  And that’s not an assumption I would
do. ;-)

> Well, guix pack is already scheme, right? Why couldn't it invoke uninstall after
> safely having completed packing the uninstall-victim-files ?

Well, it’s appears to me an heavy hammer.  The best seems to have an
option displaying the files that need to be removed for uninstalling.

Let’s discuss that on guix-devel.  Because it’s not related to a
bug. :-)

Cheers,
simon