Subject: bug#70215: Documentation about uninstalling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:36:21 +0200

On +2024-04-11 02:08:35 +0200, Rostislav Svoboda wrote:
> Do you mean the guix-install.sh script? If so then what about the
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-uninstallation_002c-of-Guix
> ?
> 
> 
> 
It says (a bit reformatted):
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Should you eventually want to uninstall Guix, run the same │
│ script with the --uninstall flag:                          │
│                                                            │
│ ./guix-install.sh --uninstall                              │
│                                                            │
│ With --uninstall, the script irreversibly deletes all the  │
│ Guix files, configuration, and services.                   │
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

My 2 cents' worth:

That sounds dangerous -- what about putting all the deletions
in a TAR_DICT/TAR_FILE_NAME.tgz as a default, with suitable
default alternative commands for various capitalized names
in a (bash) select menu -- which could also include
    "Just do it, I know what --uninstall does")

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter