Subject: bug#7021: 24.0.50; start-process + non-existing programs => status = run

From: Andreas Politz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:11:22 +0200

Starting a process with `start-process' with a non-existing program
results in a file-error and a process having the status `run'.  I don't
know if it is supposed to be that way.

gnus uses something like the following in order to find a suitable
connection method.

(with-temp-buffer
  (ignore-errors
    (start-process "foo" (current-buffer) "nonexisting-program"))
  (process-status (current-buffer)))

=> run

With the same result of quering the user about killing the process
buffer, due to `process-kill-buffer-query-function'.

A. Politz

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-06-13 on raven
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  easy-repeat-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-hacks-mode: t
  window-numbering-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
p r o c e s s - s t a t u s SPC C-e ) <return> q M-: 
M-p M-p <return> C-. g r C-h s t a r t - p <return> 
C-s f i l e SPC e r r o C-g C-x b b a C-g C-x b n e 
w <return> M-: M-p M-p <return> q C-x b <return> C-s 
f i l e - e r r o r C-s C-s M-e M-b C-h . C-s C-s RET 
C-M-a C-x n d C-v C-s s e a r c h C-s RET C-n C-l C-s 
s t a t C-s C-g C-v C-l C-. g p r o c e s s - s t <return> 
C-c i s t a t u s C-g M-x l i s t - p r o <tab> <return> 
<switch-frame> q C-/ C-x k <return> C-x o q q <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-x b i n f <return> 
j <return> C-v C-M-e C-r s t r e a m C-r C-r C-r C-r 
C-r C-r C-M-b C-M-SPC M-w C-, s i C-s i m a p . f h 
C-s C-n C-M-b C-b C-9 C-o C-/ C-o ( C-y SPC C-u C-x 
b i n f <return> M-1 g s s a p i ) ) C-M-x C-, C-g 
C-M-a C-M-f C-x C-e q C-/ C-M-e C-x C-e C-, s g C-M-x 
g g g y q C-x b <return> C-/ M-m C-k C-k C-M-a C-M-q 
C-M-f C-x C-s C-/ C-/ M-f M-f M-f M-b M-d C-u C-x b 
i n f <return> t M-1 t l s C-e C-h C-n TAB C-e C-M-a 
C-M-q M-2 l C-l C-l C-0 w M-1 C-x C-s M-x r e p o r 
t <tab> b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Redo!
Mark set
Saving file /home/politza/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/politza/.emacs.d/init.el [2 times]
Undo! [2 times]
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
(info "(gnus) IMAP")
Saving file /home/politza/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/politza/.emacs.d/init.el [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/politza/.emacs.d/minor-modes/ido hides /home/politza/src/emacs23/lisp/ido

Features:
(shadow emacsbug newcomment nnagent nnml info-look debug cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
ielm cl-specs edebug gnus-kill vc-git find-func vc-dispatcher vc-svn
gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml parse-time nnfolder nnmbox
utf-7 utf7 netrc starttls nnimap imap nndraft nnmh bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf
mail-extr bbdb-com warnings nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-win thingatpt wdired help-mode
mailcap browse-url fix-umlaut sgml-mode pp tabify dirtrack ansi-color
bash-mode make-mode autorevert arc-mode archive-mode view woman man sort
ffap multi-isearch w3m-form mule-util w3m-cookie w3m-bookmark
w3m-tabmenu w3m-session w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode
w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc
w3m-util info color-theme disp-table closure minibuffer-regexp derived
pascal org byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list
org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs imenu ispell gnus-int
gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr avoid
server easy-repeat repeat eldoc ibuf-macs ibuf-ext ibuffer dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-details tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish
tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util
shell password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver time-date recentf
tree-widget wid-edit easymenu generic ido-hacks hippie-exp my-anything
anything kbd-helper foldout noutline outline edmacro kmacro org-install
bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone persistent-scratch-buffer window-numbering
easy-mmode cl cl-19 uniquify winner paren ido grep compile comint
regexp-opt ring hi-lock time cus-start cus-load saveplace savehist
advice help-fns advice-preload tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)