Subject: bug#70163: closed (Re: bug#70163: 29.3; hexl-mode incorrect docstring)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 05:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#70163: 29.3; hexl-mode incorrect docstring

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70163: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70163
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70163: 29.3; hexl-mode incorrect docstring
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 08:46:39 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 18:41:03 +0000
> 
> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Maybe.  But meanwhile, the best I can suggest is this:
> >
> > LGTM,
> 
> Seems good to me as well.

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.3; hexl-mode incorrect docstring
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 15:02:52 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hexl-mode docstring specify "\<hexl-mode-map>" in its first line, this
to specify some keybinding related to this map at end, as a result the
documentation command returns a three line string, the first line beeing
a blank line until hexl.el is loaded.  I think docstrings generally
should not have this specification in their first line.

    (defun hexl-mode (&optional arg)
      "\\<hexl-mode-map>A mode for editing binary files in hex dump format.
      [...] 
      Most cursor movement bindings are the same: use \\[hexl-backward-char],
      [...]

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-03-24 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-29.1 --with-cairo
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --without-tree-sitter
--without-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  hexl-follow-ascii: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  register-preview-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug shortdoc hexl helm-command
helm-firefox gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh
nnfolder network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug helm-x-files
helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-info cl-extra gnus-cite smiley
w3m-form w3m-symbol qp w3m doc-view jka-compr timezone w3m-hist
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-fb tab-line w3m-proc
w3m-util mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check addressbook-bookmark
tv-mu4e-config config-w3m mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util mu4e-patch mu4e
mu4e-org org-config ob-gnuplot org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs mu4e-notification
notifications mu4e-main smtpmail mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers
mu4e-thread mu4e-actions mu4e-compose gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range mu4e-search
mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido message
sendmail puny rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-obsolete tramp-cmds
cl-print backtrace find-func tramp-sh epa-file char-fold image-file
image-converter emms-config emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf dbus xml ffap
helm-ls-git vc-git emacs-news-mode vc vc-dispatcher cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
sly sly-completion sly-buttons sly-messages sly-common apropos etags
fileloop generator xref arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec add-log
conf-mode yank-media markdown-mode color noutline outline
flymake-shellcheck cus-start flymake-proc flymake project warnings
thingatpt sh-script smie treesit executable diff-mode bug-reference
naquadah-theme view solar cal-dst holidays holiday-loaddefs appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs server imenu
psession frameset register-preview pcase git-gutter mule-util
dired-extension time winner describe-variable help-fns radix-tree
help-mode tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa helm-descbinds cus-edit pp icons wid-edit
helm-sys popup helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode
exif filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
helm-buffers all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring helm-regexp
format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core easy-mmode async-bytecomp
helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs mb-depth avoid cus-load all-the-icons-autoloads
ledger-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads info sly-autoloads
w3m-load w3m-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1047939 87992)
 (symbols 48 45461 6)
 (strings 32 290729 21565)
 (string-bytes 1 8633540)
 (vectors 16 116847)
 (vector-slots 8 2373836 49968)
 (floats 8 4939 8125)
 (intervals 56 33276 4050)
 (buffers 976 147))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry