Subject: bug#70163: 29.3; hexl-mode incorrect docstring

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 15:02:52 +0000

Hexl-mode docstring specify "\<hexl-mode-map>" in its first line, this
to specify some keybinding related to this map at end, as a result the
documentation command returns a three line string, the first line beeing
a blank line until hexl.el is loaded.  I think docstrings generally
should not have this specification in their first line.

    (defun hexl-mode (&optional arg)
      "\\<hexl-mode-map>A mode for editing binary files in hex dump format.
      [...] 
      Most cursor movement bindings are the same: use \\[hexl-backward-char],
      [...]

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-03-24 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-29.1 --with-cairo
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --without-tree-sitter
--without-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  hexl-follow-ascii: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  register-preview-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug shortdoc hexl helm-command
helm-firefox gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh
nnfolder network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug helm-x-files
helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-info cl-extra gnus-cite smiley
w3m-form w3m-symbol qp w3m doc-view jka-compr timezone w3m-hist
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-fb tab-line w3m-proc
w3m-util mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check addressbook-bookmark
tv-mu4e-config config-w3m mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util mu4e-patch mu4e
mu4e-org org-config ob-gnuplot org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs mu4e-notification
notifications mu4e-main smtpmail mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers
mu4e-thread mu4e-actions mu4e-compose gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range mu4e-search
mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido message
sendmail puny rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-obsolete tramp-cmds
cl-print backtrace find-func tramp-sh epa-file char-fold image-file
image-converter emms-config emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf dbus xml ffap
helm-ls-git vc-git emacs-news-mode vc vc-dispatcher cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
sly sly-completion sly-buttons sly-messages sly-common apropos etags
fileloop generator xref arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec add-log
conf-mode yank-media markdown-mode color noutline outline
flymake-shellcheck cus-start flymake-proc flymake project warnings
thingatpt sh-script smie treesit executable diff-mode bug-reference
naquadah-theme view solar cal-dst holidays holiday-loaddefs appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs server imenu
psession frameset register-preview pcase git-gutter mule-util
dired-extension time winner describe-variable help-fns radix-tree
help-mode tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa helm-descbinds cus-edit pp icons wid-edit
helm-sys popup helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode
exif filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
helm-buffers all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring helm-regexp
format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core easy-mmode async-bytecomp
helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs mb-depth avoid cus-load all-the-icons-autoloads
ledger-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads info sly-autoloads
w3m-load w3m-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1047939 87992)
 (symbols 48 45461 6)
 (strings 32 290729 21565)
 (string-bytes 1 8633540)
 (vectors 16 116847)
 (vector-slots 8 2373836 49968)
 (floats 8 4939 8125)
 (intervals 56 33276 4050)
 (buffers 976 147))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry