Subject: Re: [bug#70148] [PATCH] guix-install.sh: Add daemonize to requirements.

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 18:44:31 -0400

Hi Ludo!

>> Both openrc and sysvinit use guix-daemon.in so daemonize should be
>> required regardless of the init system.
>
> ‘daemonize’ seems to be used by etc/init.d/guix-daemon.in, but not by
> etc/openrc/guix-daemon.in, right?

Correct, I think I got confused by guix-install.sh copying
etc/openrc/guix-daemon to /etc/init.d/guix-daemon. (See the openrc
handler in the $INIT_SYS case statement in sys_enable_guix_daemon()).
Assuming I understand the script; I find shell scripts hard to parse.

> My only concern is if the majority of users (which I assume use systemd)
> would get an error for a missing package they don’t actually need.
>
> Do you think that is a risk or is ‘daemonize’ usually installed “by
> default” even on those systemd distros?

I suspect there's a risk. WSL Debian does not come with daemonize out of
the box so I imagine normal Debian does not either.

If OpenRC/systemd does not require daemonize, there's probably a better way to
handle this. Perhaps a INITD_REQUIRE variable that's only checked
conditionally depending on what init system is detected (aka INIT_SYS).

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.