Subject: bug#70140: Missing ./doc/guix-cookbook.pt_BR.texi

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 20:14:58 +0200

My apologies for not giving a good response.

Yes, the issue you mention is indeed different from a record ABI
mismatch, in that the error message for an ABI message says
“recompilation needed” and is documented in the manual, unlike the
problematic error message that you reported.

Adding a note to doc/guix.texi would target the wrong audience, though,
because every Guix developer needs to rerun ./bootstrap, not only the
developer who added the translation.

The error message you reported

automake-1.16: error: cannot open < ./doc/guix-cookbook.pt_BR.texi: No
such file or directory

can be traced with “make --trace”.  It is because the
Autotools-generated Makefile recognizes that doc/local.mk has changed
and therefore runs “automake-1.16 --gnu Makefile”, which scans for the
Texinfo files mentioned in info_TEXINFOS and cannot open the mentioned
file.

Currrently the file “bootstrap” is a script that creates
“doc/guix.${lang}.texi” stub files.  When you don’t run “bootstrap”, the
files are missing.

At first sight, instead of creating the stub files in “bootstrap”, files
with

@setfilename guix.pt_BR.info
@include version-pt_BR.texi

for all languages could be pushed to guix.git by the developer who adds
the translation.  However, this is not enough, because “bootstrap” still
must run “touch po/doc/guix-manual.eo.po”, otherwise the PO4A rule to
create “doc/version-pt_BR.texi” is not run by GNU Make.

So there is no solution, is there?

Regards,
Florian