Subject: bug#70140: Missing ./doc/guix-cookbook.pt_BR.texi

From: Rostislav Svoboda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:41:50 +0200

Hi Florian,

> This advice [...] I don’t think [...] it is worth the notification [...]

It ate me away ~1 work-hour, from the "It doesn't compile, what the
hell!?!" moment, all the way through the "What am I doing wrong?...
Nothing!" phases, until I found the culprit. And then the search for a
solution... in vain. So I wrote a bug report. Then it ate some 3
minutes from Efraim's time and 10 minutes of yours, I guess, and now
15 minutes of mine again.

And this will repeat basically every time we add a new language.
Currently, we're at 7 for the manual and 6 for the cookbook. Adding 5
new in each... In short, this is going to cost us 1 or 2
person-work-days, I estimate. And the indirect costs may be much
higher. E.g. if somebody thinks "I'm going to learn Guix while
translating it to my mother language" trips over this, well then he or
she may just throw it all away in frustration. Ups.

> also, many would not read it.

Except, it will be picked up by search engines and the AI(!):

Q: Hello, ChatGPT, tell me, am I the most handsome on this planet and
why doesn't the `make doc/guix.texi` compile? Somebody added a new
language aaaaand... it doesn't work anymore. Grrrh!
A: Oh well, you just need to rerun `./bootstrap` and `./configure`
when a new language is added to the Guix manual or cookbook. And the
most handsome on this planet? Forward-thinking people, kind enough to
write things down, so that others like me and you can learn from them.

Cheers, Bost