Subject: Re: bug#70136: 30.0.50; compilation-mode [was: comint-mode] doesn't call hack-dir-local-variables-non-file-buffer

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:59:50 -0400

>> Also, I'm not seeing why "That's not the same".
>
> Because introducing a new feature is qualitatively different: it can
> have no backward-compatibility problems, since no one can possibly
> have existing customizations for it.

That commit I referred to had AFAICT the same effect as the one
discussed here: it made some modes (diff-mode, log-edit-mode, and a few
more) obey dir-locals whereas they didn't before.
And dir-locals existed since several years before that.

Why would it be more likely for them to have .dir-locals which
accidentally affect grep-mode than diff-mode/log-edit-mode/...?

AFAICT it risked the exact same backward compatibility problems.

>> Should we add a message like
>> "ignoring dir-locals.  See obey-dir-local-variables-in-all-non-file-buffers"?
> The time for April 1 jokes has come and passed this year, no? ;-)

I'm quite serious.  From where I stand, I think most users would
want to enable this feature in they have a situation where it affects
the behavior of Emacs.

        Stefan