Subject: bug#70136: 30.0.50; comint-mode doesn't call hack-dir-local-variables-non-file-buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 18:11:22 +0300

> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 16:03:23 +0200
> 
> By the way, I now realize that 'M-x compile' doesn't use comint-mode
> by default.  Which raises the same question: should compilation-mode
> call hack-dir-local-variables-non-file-buffer?

Maybe.  What kind of directory-specific variables relevant to
compilation-mode would make sense?

> > If you need that for some particular use case, can't you call it from
> > comint-mode-hook or something?
> 
> Sure, it's an easy customization, but the question is whether it's the
> expected default behavior. :-)

The only way to answer that is if we see a flood of requests to have
that by default.  Without that, local customizations are perfectly
adequate.