Subject: bug#70134: [PATCH] Show all date options when adding Gnus scores interactively

From: Jakub Ječmínek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 19:27:44 +0000

"Eric Abrahamsen" <[email-masked]> writes:
> I have no comments! I don't know the scoring code, and fifteen minutes
> of looking at the patch and its surroundings has left me none the wiser.
> I don't know what it means to add multiple types to each char; I don't
> know what a "type" is in this context. Jakub, do you think you could
> enlighten me within a short paragraph or so? I'm also okay with just
> chucking it in, and letting people in gnus.general know that things have
> changed. There are a few hardcore scoring users there.

Sure, please let me know if need more context.

If you hit 'I' or 'L' on any article (in the Summary buffer) then Gnus
will walk you through the scoring process. Gnus first asks you which
header you're scoring on and presents you a bunch of characters (each
character represents one header: d - date, b - body, etc.). If you
choose date, for example, then Gnus asks you for 'match type' which is
basically a handler which will decide whether to lower/increase the
score. Which scoring types are presented depends on which header you're
scoring on but current implementation allows to bind only one character
to one type. But since Alex implemented integer scoring (currently bound
to `number' type) to date, I think we should extend it and present this
option to the user.

"Alex Bochannek" <[email-masked]> writes:
> As Jakub mentioned, I am the author of that part of the Gnus scoring
> code. I have not had a chance to look at the proposed patch, but I agree
> that some explanations would be useful. I can look it over this weekend.

Thank you, your review is appreciated. Please do you happen to remember
why you used this form

(string= "date" (nth 0 (assoc header gnus-header-index)))

instead of this

(string= header "date")

Thanks!

Best

-- 
Kuba Ječmínek (http://kubajecminek.cz)