Subject: Re: [bug#70131] [PATCH v3 0/6] Update U-Boot.

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 14:04:16 -0800

On 2024-12-15, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2024-12-13, Herman Rimm wrote:
>> The first and second patch should be applied together.  The second patch
>> updates U-Boot to v2024.10, and the patches for u-boot-rockpro64-rk3399
>> and u-boot-sandbox are updated and squashed into it.
>
> I successfully build-tested a few of these (with the guix-name patch
> reverted):
>
> /gnu/store/pqsbkssz6x8mfrxkhnf07xhczkk9s3bl-u-boot-rock64-rk3328-2024.10
> /gnu/store/s6vwgw88s5cx01nwrwmx31pn8x6g0d6i-u-boot-rockpro64-rk3399-2024.10
> /gnu/store/z4ziy84n4fk8pqyqddyhxxa2ssdn1fb1-u-boot-rpi-arm64-2024.10
>
> This is obviously not comprehensive... as there are quite a few
> variants.

I have built-tested all the u-boot-* except u-boot-sandbox and
u-boot-documentation. There are huge toolchains not built for aarch64 at
the moment (e.g. all of rust) that need to be rebuilt to properly test
all of those. Similarly, I did not test the dependents of u-boot-tools,
although u-boot-tools itself builds fine.

I might be able to at least test those on x86_64 when I get a chance to
boot an x86_64 machine.

> I might be able to actually test the above targets actually produce a
> working u-boot and even have some old guix installs on some of them
> that I might be able to update to actually boot test them all the way.
>
> Might even be able to build test and boot test a few more as well, but
> for now, let's start with those...

I just did some basic boot testing of u-boot-pinebook and
u-boot-rock64-rk3328, by manually installing and booting Debian with it,
though I have not tested with Guix System (and not sure I will be able
to).

I might be able to test u-boot-sifive-unmatched next. Having troubles
unrelated to these patches with the rockpro64 board, but hope to get
those fixed. Have a number of the armhf boards too, though not sure I
actually have an OS installed on any of them to make testing quick and
easy enough to bother.

But with a few more boot tests, and testing that u-boot-tools dependents
still build and u-boot-sandbox and u-boot-documentation builds, I think
I would be comfortable merging this patch series soon (without the
guix-name patch).

live well,
  vagrant