Subject: Re: bug#70128: Issue after upgrading ELPA-auctex 14.0.4

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 01:11:53 +0900

Hi Angelo,

>>>>> Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]> writes:
>> ,----
>> |         − If your Emacs is 29 or newer and you use ‘desktop.el’ to save
>> |           and restore Emacs sessions, be careful before you update
>> |           AUCTeX; You should attempt to update only after
>> |             1. you kill all buffer under former AUCTeX modes which have
>> |                overlapped name with Emacs built-in TeX modes, and
>> |             2. you terminate the current Emacs session.
>> |           The modes with such overlapped name are ‘plain-tex-mode’,
>> |           ‘latex-mode’, ‘doctex-mode’ and ‘texinfo-mode’.  (The above
>> |           prescription ensures no buffer of such modes is recorded in
>> |           the desktop file.  Otherwise those buffers would be restored
>> |           in the built-in modes, not AUCTeX modes, after the update of
>> |           AUCTeX.)
>> `----

> It is the first time I hear this. I used my builds of AUCTeX for a
> long time when Emacs was 22 or 23 and never saw this kind of issues..

AUCTeX changed its major mode names at version 14. The above entry warns
about incompatibility caused by that change.

> If things are so, maybe it is better do not use AUCTeX at all... or not?

I think you don't have to worry about that. In general, the major mode
names are unlikely to change easily. This update to version 14 is very
exceptional.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW