Subject: Re: bug#70105: 30.0.50; Emacs should support EditorConfig out of the box

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 06:21:17 +0000

Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> OK, here's the other part.
>
> I pushed to the branch `scratch/emacs-editorconfig` a bunch of patches
> which add a few `lisp/editorconfig*.el` files.
>
> The main effect is to define a new (global) minor mode
> `editorconfig-mode` (I assumed we'll keep it disabled by default in
> Emacs-30, but I think it would make sense to enable by default in
> Emacs-31 (i.e. on `master` after the branch is cut)) as well as a new
> major mode `editorconfig-conf-mode` to edit `.editorconfig` files.

Is it possible for major modes to indicate that [*] editorconfig setting
must not be used? In particular, Org mode needs to use a fixed
`tab-width' and editorconfig must not override that (it is a part of the
syntax).

We already had a user reporting problems caused by
https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig-emacs where tab-width was
changed to 4 by default.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>