Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: Add stremio.

From: Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 12:15:13 +0200

Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email-masked]> writes:
> Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:
>> This all seems to be a bit vague. There is this press release [2] from
>> 2019 that makes announcements like "Stremio-core will be open-source too,
>> and licensed under the permissive MIT license.", but such a declaration
>> of intentions does not mean that anything *is* actually published under
>> such a license. (And for instance, the expat vs. gpl3 question shows the
>> discrepancy between announcements and reality.)
>>
>> On the other hand, there is the issue
>>    https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-service/issues/49
>> from 2023 in which the "lead dev" arguments that some parts of the code
>> are and should remain proprietary.
>>
>> It may just be an oversight, and the hint towards a license file at the
>> top of server.js is an indication of that, but we cannot be sure and do
>> not have this license file.
>>
>> So my opinion is that as long as we have no proofs of a free license,
>> this package has to be considered proprietary and cannot be added to
>> Guix. Maybe you could bring this up with the developers and have them
>> add a license statement, or a link to such a statement, in the server.js
>> file.
>
> Alright, I've opened an issue in their Github page[1]. Let's see if they
> can clarify the license for us.
>
> [1] https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-shell/issues/435

I've got a reply and seems Andreas was right distrusting the
licensing. According to the developers 'server.js' is proprietary
software[1]

[1]
https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-shell/issues/435#issuecomment-2844471402

-- Closing this issue due to the package not following Guix guidelines.