Subject: [bug#70078] [PATCH v2] gnu: Add stremio.

From: Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 11:15:41 +0200

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:
> This all seems to be a bit vague. There is this press release [2] from
> 2019 that makes announcements like "Stremio-core will be open-source too,
> and licensed under the permissive MIT license.", but such a declaration
> of intentions does not mean that anything *is* actually published under
> such a license. (And for instance, the expat vs. gpl3 question shows the
> discrepancy between announcements and reality.)
>
> On the other hand, there is the issue
>    https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-service/issues/49
> from 2023 in which the "lead dev" arguments that some parts of the code
> are and should remain proprietary.
>
> It may just be an oversight, and the hint towards a license file at the
> top of server.js is an indication of that, but we cannot be sure and do
> not have this license file.
>
> So my opinion is that as long as we have no proofs of a free license,
> this package has to be considered proprietary and cannot be added to
> Guix. Maybe you could bring this up with the developers and have them
> add a license statement, or a link to such a statement, in the server.js
> file.

Alright, I've opened an issue in their Github page[1]. Let's see if they
can clarify the license for us.

[1] https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-shell/issues/435