Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: Add stremio.

From: Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2025 12:43:27 +0200

Hello Andreas, thanks for reviewing my patch.

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:
> Concerning the license, the https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-shell
> repository links to the GPL version 3, not expat. Normally this means
> "or later"; unfortunately the source code does not seem to have an
> explicit license notice specifying gpl3 or gpl3+.

I apologise for the mistake.

> So should this package be called stremio or stremio-shell?
> The binary is called stremio, so I think it makes sense to keep this
> also as the project name.

I think "stremio" is the better name. In my opinion, it's more clear for
the end user.

> I also did not find a license for the "embedded"
> stremio-server-4.20.8.js file; the file itself says
>    /*! For license information please see server.js.LICENSE.txt */
> but where is this file?
> I also found this open issue
>    https://github.com/Stremio/stremio-service/issues/49
> which seems to indicate that the code is not free.

I could neither find the license for that file. It's probably an
overlooked issue, I think we can probably get in touch with the
developers to clarify that. Reading that issue, it seems that they did
not have the source code available for the "server.js", which now it is,
as you can see[1].

Also this post[2] seem to indicate that the intention of the Stremio
developers it to open-source everything.

[1] https://dl.strem.io/server/v4.20.8/desktop/server.js
[2]
https://blog.stremio.com/announcing-stremio-core-embracing-open-source-and-rust

Reading that post it seems that the "server.js" should also fall under
an open-source license.

What do you reckon? Do we need to contact the developers before merging
the package?

Best regards,
Sergio.