Subject: bug#70074: 29.1; js-ts-mode doesn't define comment-line-break-function

From: Evan Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:03:10 -0400

js-ts-mode and js-mode behave differently when calling
default-indent-new-line (M-j) within a multiline comment.

Observed behavior:
  - in js-mode, M-j calls c-indent-new-comment-line, which correctly
inserts a newline, indented to the correct column and prefixed with '*'
  - in js-ts-mode, M-j calls comment-indent-new-line, which inserts an
indented newline without the prefix.

Expected behavior:
Block comments should be handled the same in both modes.

Steps to reproduce:
1. emacs -Q
2. open a scratch buffer in js-ts-mode and enter text (without quotes) "/*"
3. press M-j
4. observe newline is created without star prefix

Follow the same steps in js-mode to observe the desired behavior.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2023-08-16 built on
 armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.6.3

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: JavaScript

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pp cl-extra cl-print
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode js c-ts-common treesit cl-seq
json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile imenu cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 81595 8317)
 (symbols 48 8432 0)
 (strings 32 26906 1149)
 (string-bytes 1 926726)
 (vectors 16 16240)
 (vector-slots 8 222853 10872)
 (floats 8 35 38)
 (intervals 56 269 0)
 (buffers 984 11))