Subject: bug#70071: [FR] Provide official install scripts without requiring root, e.g., by making a static build possible

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 17:41:56 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Given that many users do not have root access, it is crucial to
  > > provide an official, well-documented method for installing Emacs in
  > > such environments. Addressing this issue should take precedence over
  > > introducing new features, as it will significantly improve the user
  > > experience and make Emacs more accessible to a wider audience.

  > As already mentioned, such a method exists and is well-documented: use
  > the --prefix option of the configure script to install Emacs in a
  > directory to which you have access.

  > This is not specific to Emacs, btw: every package that is built using
  > Autoconf-produced configure script and Makefiles accepts the --prefix
  > option to specify where to install it.

That feature exists in all GNU-style configure scripts, but users looking
at Emacs may not come across the text that describes it.

Maybe we should improve the Emacs documentation to specifically
mention this in a visible way.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)