Subject: bug#70071: [FR] Provide official install scripts without requiring root, e.g., by making a static build possible

From: Rudi C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 12:36:16 +0330

I discovered a tool called junest (https://github.com/fsquillace/junest)
that appears to work for installing Emacs without root access.

Given that many users do not have root access, it is crucial to provide an
official, well-documented method for installing Emacs in such environments.
Addressing this issue should take precedence over introducing new features,
as it will significantly improve the user experience and make Emacs more
accessible to a wider audience.

In the current state, recommending Emacs to new users can be difficult, as
the installation process requires a considerable amount of Linux knowledge.
By streamlining the installation process for non-root users, Emacs will
become more user-friendly and attractive to newcomers.

As for what this officially endorsed (and tested) way of installing emacs
without root should be, I don't have the expertise. But perhaps GNU Guix
could officially support a non-root mode, as it seems technically possible.
Alternatively, the Emacs installation documentation could include
instructions on using a non-root package manager like junest, which should
be tested to ensure compatibility with Emacs.

> We have neither the manpower nor the motivation to maintain build
scripts that automatically adapt to every oddball system that arrests
the fancy of Emacs users, or to write instructions for such systems
ourselves.

I don't think a non-root Ubuntu system is a rare occurrence, and in
general, a non-root Linux should be quite common, especially in
universities, where new users often are.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 12:09 PM Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Rudi C <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Rudi,
>
> > I'm aware of Tramp, but it's buggy and slow on my setup,
> > and I don't have the time to debug it or fix the extensions that are
> > causing issues.
>
> If you don't report problems, you won't get them fixed.
>
> Best regards, Michael.
>